For all media inquiries contact:
Nick VanDemark, Communications Manager (216.820.4804)
Important Talking Points
- Nearly 125,000 people in the U.S. are waiting for organ transplants, more than 1,900 of those individuals live here in NE Ohio.
- Every 10 minutes a new name is added to the national waiting list.
- On average, every day 22 people in the U.S. die because an organ isn't available in time.
- One organ donor can save eight lives, while one tissue donor can enhance the lives of more than 50 people.
- In 2015 30,969 transplant were performed in the United States; 5,989 were living donations.
- People of all ages and medical histories should consider themselves potential donors.
- All major religions support organ, eye and tissue donation as an unselfish act of charity.
- Organs are distributed based upon medical information such as blood type, body size and tissue type, matching through a national computer network.
- Donated tissue is used to replace bone, tendons and ligaments lost to trauma, cancer and other diseases in order to improve strength, mobility and independence.
How to Register as an Organ, Eye & Tissue Donor in Ohio:
- Say "YES" when asked to be an organ, eye and tissue donor at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles
- Register online at Lifebanc.org by clicking on the blue ribbon on the right of your screen
- Call Lifebanc, 216.752.5433 or 888.558.5433 to receive a paper registration form
- The Donation Process
- Facts About Organ and Tissue Donation
- About Lifebanc
- Preferred Donation and Transplantation Terminology
- Donate Life Transplant Games of America
- News & Events
- Donor Family/Recipient Stories
- Facebook, Twitter and YouTube